Swayed by the postcard-perfect pictures of Maldives, millions of travellers plan their long-awaited vacation to this land of luxury. Landscape in the Maldives is so picturesque and uniform that even a regular photograph ends up looking like it has been lifted off a holiday brochure. Where else in the world do you ask yourself, do I want my private little beach to soak up the sun or my villa from where I can gaze into the countless variations of beautiful blue ocean as far as eyes can see? Home to the globally renowned eccentric water villas and beach villas, imagine waking up to a view of the beautiful ocean or sun-kissed beaches.
Only in the Maldives do you have the opportunity to compare a spacious beach villa with an overwater villa. Beach villas grant you direct access to the beach and overwater villas as the name indicates grant direct access to the sea. If you think there is nothing better than stepping out from your villa right onto a beautiful beach, then beach villas are the perfect fit for you. And if you think there is nothing better than stepping out from your villa right into the gorgeous waters of the Indian Ocean, then overwater villas sound perfect for you. Our team has narrowed down some key elements of these villas to help you choose better.
Those in search of a tropical island experience in the Maldives, with sand between your toes, the swaying palm trees, and the sound of the waves crashing against the shore, look no further. The Maldives have an array of beach villas, ranging from low budget simplistic beach villas to ultra-luxurious beach villas, with infinity pool, a smaller pool or even without one.
- Beach Villas grant direct access to the beach.
- Guests also have easy access to the sea from the beach.
- Private gardens adorn some beach villas rendering extra privacy.
- Some beach villas boast of romantic outdoor showers.
- Beach villas grant you the best of both worlds - easy access to island amenities while still being relatively secluded.
- Guests can move their sunbeds according to the moving sun.
- Other guests can walk past your villa, intruding your privacy.
- Private gardens might obstruct otherwise panoramic views.
- Bustling bars and restaurants might cause annoyance to the guests.
Who should stay at beach villas?
Families - Lying just a few steps away from the shoreline, beach villas are a perfect choice for families. While adults can bathe in the warm sun, the kids can build sandcastles or play around the shallow waters.
- You get to rest under the shade of the palm trees while the gentle offshore breeze sways past you on a lazy afternoon.
- You get to walk along the dreamy coastline at twilight, after dinner and cocktails at one of the eateries nearby.
- You get to savour a cup of hot coffee on the terrace after waking up to the sound of the waves and witness the glimmering ocean upon sunrise.
Our Favourites -
- Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru - Bringing you the heart of both sand and sea, the beachfront villa at Banyan Tree offer direct ocean access along with a private pool with adjoining jet pool, poolside cabana, and a charming thatched rooftop.
- Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa - Blending luxury and comfort, the park pool villas render private access to the beach that reaches the house reef in a few steps.
- Six Senses Laamu - Hidden between the resort's lush tropical greens and the beautiful blue lagoon, the two-bedroom beach villa at six senses offers a perfect seascape for families and friends.
Those searching for a quintessential luxury getaway in the Maldives, to make the most of their vacation by choosing a truly unique accommodation, look no further. Step on the Overwater Villas and sip in the views. The first overwater bungalow in the Maldives inaugurated in the '80s. Today, most of the 160 Maldives resorts offer an incredible variety of water villas. When in the Maldives, you absolutely must check off staying in overwater villas off your bucket list.
- Overwater Villas grant direct access to the sea.
- One gets unlimited, uninterrupted views of the ocean.
- Overwater Villas tend to be private.
- Water villas offer a more romantic setting.
- Some water villas have glass-panelled floors, and one can watch the sea life underneath.
- Some of the most uber-luxe properties on the Maldives boast of the finest overwater villas.
- Guests can rest on their personal lounge deck with sunbeds.
- Overwater Villas remain poorly lit at night.
- Some guests might feel nauseous or seasick.
- Overwater villas lie a long way from the resort's other amenities such as the restaurants and bars.
- The water might be too shallow during low tides to get into the ocean or see the sea life underneath.
- Sometimes the steps leading into the ocean can feel slippery to climb in and out of the water.
Who should stay at overwater villas?
Couples - Panoramic views of the surrounding lagoon alone is reason enough for couples to opt overwater villas. However, they also offer complete privacy and prove to be a once in a lifetime kind of experience.
- You get to descend into the lagoon from your private staircase.
- You get to spend an afternoon snorkelling in the shallow waters.
- You get to swim in your private infinity pool without stepping out of your villa.
- You get to swim in the ocean; period.
Our Favourites -
- Soneva Jani - A benchmark for overwater luxury, villas at Soneva Jani have water slides from the top deck to the lagoon below.
- Conrad Maldives Rangali Island - The pioneer of the world's first underwater villa, Conrad offers more than a place to stay, an experience.
- One&Only Reethi Rah - The ultra-luxury resort, One&Only offers a curated collection of exclusive and immersive villas to create an unparalleled and unforgettable vacation.
- Adaaran Prestige- Nestled in the heart of paradise, luxurious Adaaran was crowned as the world's leading water villa retreat at various venues.
Let us address the all-important question, "Beach Villa or Overwater Villa?" It depends on you, your personal preferences, the resort you will stay at, and the specific villa you are going to choose. And that is where we come in. We strive to understand your preferences and tailor-make the vacation for the same. Get in touch and let us help you plan your perfect Maldivian vacation.